The N F I A is the official governing organisation of the Nordic Folkboat Associations (NNFA). Our aim is to support all countries and sailors who race or cruise this timeless One Design classic
These pages provide you with the key information data regarding the boat, the class, the organisations and the major events of the class.
If there are subjects you need more details about, please do not hesitate to contact the office of NFIA.
The Nordic Folkboat was designed as a clinker built wooden sloop in 1942 by the Scandinavian Yacht Racing Union (SYRU), renamed in our days to Nordic Sailing Federation (NoSF).
The first Nordic Folkboat was built in Göteborg in Sweden. In the late 1960ies, a GRP version was design licensed to a few boat builders.
And up to 2022 - more than 4000 Nordic Folkboats have been built.
Key dimensions are:
Length (LOA): 7.68 m (max)
Length on waterline: 6.00 m
Beam: 2.20 m
Sail area: 24.00 m²
Weight: (min) 1930 kg
The Nordic Folkboat is popular as both a racing yacht as well as a cruising yacht despite its small interior size and lack of a "headroom". The Nordic Folkboat celebrated its 80th Anniversary in 2022. It is important to note how the design has significantly influenced many other boatbuilders and designers over the years, this said there is only one 'Nordic Folkboat'
News & Information
- NFIA Board Meeting 11th January 2023Attached is the first Board Meeting of 2023 for information to all concerned. Please review for latest class rules discussions and actions. Hosted via MS Teams
- NFIA AGM 2022 - MinutesPlease find the Minutes from the June 2022 AGM, hosted via Zoom and Kiel during the Gold Cup
- NFIA January 2023 NewsFirstly thanks for visiting our new look NFIA website. We aim to regularly update those interested with news, calendars, results and events, so please keep looking. We are constantly updating the look and feel and user satisfaction so bear with us as this is still work in progress. Looking forward to this year, we have […]
- Sessan Cup 2022 (Report and Results)We welcomed five Danish and one German boat and crew to Lymington, and fifteen local boats made up from the Solent Nordic fleet. Most visitors arrived by Thursday, 15th September and were launched by lunchtime on Friday 16th, all at the Lymington Yacht Haven. Four of the five Danes went out practising in a light […]
- Adverts - Boats and EquipmentExample of items for sale Please contact the NFIA secretary/treasurer to post items email: email@example.com (Advert term 3 months, cost for yachts 30 Euros and Equipment 10 Euros)